Sunday 15 May 2016

Click.

I love horse shopping normally, it's so exciting to look for a new friend and to meet all the new people. Exchanging pictures and talking about all the things the horse has done. It is one of the most exhilarating processes I know.

The last few weeks horse shopping has been anything but fun. When I call about a horse I feel scared. I try to tell the people what I am looking for and why in a fast blurb then I brace for the reaction. 

Most people have been kind and curious and asked about E.I.A. Some people are very judgmental and say things that are cruel. I have had people ask me if I cross needled the horses ( I didn't) and then call me a liar and hang up on me when I said I didn't Some people have E.I.A. and E.H.V. all balled together. Most people don't understand why the control program is so important. 

People freak out when I tell them the horses have to be Coggins tested before I can buy them, even though I agree to pay the full amount they are asking without question and to pay for the test. People don't want to test because they are afraid. 

The majority of people straight hang up on me at that point. Half of the rest try to talk me out of it or try to convince me to test them later when they can no longer be compelled to test if the horse is positive. A tiny handful happily agree to test once the deposit is paid and understand completely. 

At first missing out on horses upset me alot and I questioned whether I was going to be able to find what I was looking for before camp starts. but you know dear reader as the weeks pass I care less and less about missing out on a horse that might work for us because I never ever want to have to massacre my equine family again. I care less about the people who won't sell to me because the fact that those horses aren't tested makes them Schroedingers horses, simultaneously alive and dead. 

My heart is not in horse shopping right now but it has to be done, the horses have to get to know each other and be ready for other peoples' children by July 1. Wish me luck dear reader, my heart is weary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment